Back to New Orleans

Last week we went back to New Orleans. R had a business trip, and I went along just for the pleasure. We stayed in the French Quarter, on Dauphine street. I know I have a very narrow experience of the city, but the French Quarter is beautiful and fun... and it smells really bad. 

I visited the Museum of Death. It was disappointing. Mainly, it's gross. There are lots of images of bloody guts (which I don't enjoy). They also have a section on serial killers. And while I find them fascinating, I was really turned off by their display of the bra and panties of Eileen Wuornos. Sexism shows its ugly face even in the strangest places. I did however stay there for a while, watching a 9/11 documentary. I had forgotten how traumatizing that day was. 

We ate expensive and unexciting food at Arnaud's, and the next day we went back to the French Market, where we stuffed our face with boiled shrimp and charbroiled oysters. The guys at the oyster bar there are the best. They gave us a special oyster treat (boiled in a spicy sauce), and told us about the best jambalaya in town: their grandmothers.'

We walked through the galleries and art shops on Royal Street. Particularly enjoyed our visit to Elliot Art Gallery, where the owner introduced us to her sweet dog, and talked to us about her passion for fine arts, and teaching. She also gave us a lesson on lithography, and at the end of the day R was almost sold on the idea of acquiring a Matisse lithograph (maybe next time). 

We had a good time. The two days we spent there seemed longer, in a good way. Here are some photos of our time in the New Orleans French Quarter. 








Comments

Popular Posts